February, 2, 2023; ARTA software version 1.9.6 is
published. . (see download section).
- Measurement with swept-sine signal in dual channel mode is improved by
better control of subaudio noise.
- Several small bugs are corrected
This version no longer works in Windows XP
September, 20, 2022;
ARTA software version 1.9.5 is published. (see download section).
- Multitone generation algorithm improved.
- THD+N frequency weighting switch updated.
- Improved estimation of Directivity Index. Now user
chooses the type of spatial directivity pattern used for DI estimation:
cylindrical or axe-symetric spherical.
- Spherical pattern is used as defined in standard IEC 60268-21
- Directivity index can be estimated for free full space and half-space radiation.
Enjoy with Arta software!
August, 29, 2021;
ARTA software version 188.8.131.52 is published. (see download section).
This is a bug correction release.
- Audio range of multitone can be
defined from 5-20000 Hz.
- Multitone generation algorithm is improved
June, 30, 2021;
ARTA software version 1.9.4 is published. (see download section).
Changes from version 1.9.3 are:
- ARTA Step response is now obtained by cumulative integrating IR after the cursor position (if cursor position < IR maximum positiom)
- Smoothed FR overlays can be exported in textual files
- Sine burst duration can be generated in multiple of half sine periods.
- Corrected bug in File->Export in CSV in FR1 window
- Microphone calibration can be enabled even if input signal level is bellow -60dB.
- STI module is implemented according to new standard IEC 60268-16:2020 Ed.5
- STI module can import predefined noise SPL from textual files
- Multione signals can be user defined with tone density from 3 to 12 tones per octave.
- User defined filter can be applied to multitone signal (IEC 660268-16 and CTA-1034A)
- Spectrum overlay level shift when using FR compensation is resolved.
- Generation of square and triangle signals in wav file is improved
- ARTA file version information corrected for "Load and sum" and "Directivity pattern creation" functions.
- ARTA can have arbitrary number of fixed overlays in FR1, FR2, Spectrum real-time modes
- Fixed overlay can be generated in Octave smooting and Octave bands modes.
- STEPS allows FR compensation to be applied to loaded FR data
- STEPS scalling dialog improved
- STEPS Linearity module accept all sampling frequencies, not only 48kHz
- STEPS saves which distortion to plot and current plots margins in Registry
- LIMP saves graph margins in Registry
- LIMP gets Overlay menu item for making target impedance curve calculated from measured loudspeaker parameters
May, 17, 2021;
New versions of ARTA Web pages are published. They give
better smartphone browsing.
Note: Please clear the browser cache, if you get old version
February, 9, 2021;
New version of application note AN1 - Measurement Box, is published. See Support section.
November, 19, 2019.
ARTA software version 1.9.3 Update 1 is published (see download section).
- File version is updated in Load and sum and Directivity pattern
November, 12, 2019.
ARTA software version 1.9.3 is published (see download section).
Change from version 1.9.2 are:
- All User manuals and some Application notes have been corrected (thanks Lee Clinton for great work)..
- Several benign bugs have been corrected
- Some messages and warnings are changed.
- Now all labels of y-axes show units in braces
- A serious bug resolved in FR2 mode : delay was not properly accounted when right channel was used as response channel.
- The delay estimation in FR2 mode is improved by using generalized cross-correlation.
- LIMP allows impedance data import from textual files.
- ARTA allows STI analysis for data from imported files.
- The interface for recording signal and noise in STI analysis is upgraded.
- Asio driver interface updated.
- The format of PIR files is changed. Marker and cursor positions are saved in PIR files. They can be loaded on File->Open command if that
action is defined in dialog opened with command File->Options.
ARTA release version 1.9.2 is published (see download section).
Change from version 1.9.1 are:
ARTA software now has user interface and graphs adjustable for high DPI displays (96 -300 DPI)
- ARTA programs are now classified as "DPI aware" applications. It means that on change of display scaling Windows needs to be re-logon or reset.
- Significant speedup is achieved in drawing of realtime windows graphs. Faster drawing gives better stability of computers with slow graphic cards.
- Updated scaling and labeling for many graphs in ARTA, STEEPS and LIMP.
- Every graph now has user controls for pen and grid thickness. Thicker graphs grids and lines gives better accessability in HiDPI displays and much better printout.
- Graph fonts are enlarged.
- User can control size and aspect ratio in copying or saving graph bitmaps.
- Speech transmission index STI module is now compatible with standard IEC-60268-16:2011.
- Implemented are STI, STIPA and STITEL methods with automation of speech spectra setup.
- Automatic equalization of artificial mouth loudspeaker is implemented in STI measurement.
- Averaging reset starts correctly.
- Driver for Outline turntable works correctly for negative angles.
- Status bar has changed to show recording input in dBFS levels
- Added phase plot in FR2 - linear frequency axis graph
- Pink noise generator is implemented in Tools windows for 1/1 and 1/3-octave band analysis.
- Mic compensation accept *.txt and *.FRD files
- PIR format changed to keep information on used signal types (does not affect reading of old pir files)
- Bug in signal recorder generator selection solved
- LIMP has new calibration procedure
(impedance measurement range and accuracy much larger then before)
- LIMP manual fully explains calibration theory.
- Bug in low impedance graph margin of LIMP solved.
- New excitation signal - Multitone implemented in LIMP.
It has measurement SNR similar to pink noise but has controlled frequency range.
- Improved Generator setup dialog in LIMP. Now it has virtual voltmeter for monitoring voltage on measured impedance.
- New TSP estimation method for fixed membrane mass implemented in LIMP.
- In TSP - Added Mass dialog user can choose "constant compliance" or "constant BL" for Mms calculation.
- Distortion monitoring enabled during measurements in LIMP stepped sine mode.
As you see there are lot of changes and it would be best to treat this
version as beta - hopefully there will small number of bugs.
May, 25, 2018.
February, 25, 2017.
ARTA release version 1.9.1 is published (see download section).
Change from version 1.9.0 is:
The Outline rotating turntable ET250-3D driver is enabled for spatial response measurements.
January, 6, 2017.
ARTA release version 1.9.0 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.8.5 are:
- New graph grid labeling algorithm uses grid on .., 1, 2, 5, 10, ..
- Now user chooses direction of Magnitude Top spin control
- New command added for automatic spatial IR group
recording using rotating turntable.
- New menu command added in Imp
window for export of FR for single file IR or spatial IR group
pink noise filter applied in continuous pink noise generation.
Separate switches added for frequency compensation in FR and spectrum
- Power spectrum and distortion calculations now accept fr.
- Number of averaging for noise and swept sine
excitation is handled separately.
- Ctrl+A command now works in DFT
- Graph Copy in CSD and Burst Decay views accepts different
- A bark scale cursor readout corrected.
- A change to
lower resolution available for FR difference from overlay.
- In LIMP
a report for frequency Fs is obtained from optimization.
- In LIMP
estimation of Mms uses Small formula if optimization obtained one
differs more than 10%
ARTA accept two drivers for rotating
turntables: command line program defined for DIY turntable
internal driver for Outline ET250-3D (this internal driver is not fully
May, 6, 2015.
ARTA release version 1.8.5 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.8.3 are:
- Import of wav files is improved: now ARTA accepts multichannel files in
PCM or 32 bit FLOAT format, with arbitrary starting sample frame file
- ASIO capture for swept sine on some Focusrite cards improved,
- FR and distortion window now has command for scale level,
- FR and distortion plot now can also show harmonic distortion in
- Phase plot is improved,
- Band pass filter in energy decay window fixed to true 1/1 octave width,
- Changed some labels in calibration dialog,
- SPL view corrected for minimum zoom.
In ARTA, STEPS and LIMP
- Now all images of graphs (Ctrl+C) and windows (Ctrl+Alt+p) can be saved in files.
- Max SPL testing in dual channel mode checks for power amplifier clipping.
ARTA service release version 1.8.3 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.8.2 are:
In ARTA - plot of directivity
pattern is reorganized and removed bug if measuring with 1 degree step
In ARTA - removed occasional bug in presentation of unwraped phase
STEPS - measurement of loudspeaker maximum SPL has enlarged dynamic
range 30-46 dB.
In LIMP - no changes
May, 28, 2014.
ARTA service release version 1.8.2 is published (see download section).
The version 1.8.1 was developed with Microsoft Visual Studio 2013.
Before that ARTA was developed using Visual Studio 2008.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Microsoft has put some restriction on OS
usage, and compiler was set up for new generation of procesors.
resulted with ARTA program working correctly only on Windows from
version Windows XP service pack 3.
Also, there was problem with work
on old processors like AMD Athlons and with some file operations. This
version has solved that bugs.
There are also some small
In ARTA - measurement of SPL, Leq can be extended
to more than one day.
In STEPS - measurement of loudspeaker maximum
SPL is improved and user can choose extended dynamic range (30-40 dB).
In LIMP - target import from *.ZMA files now accepts magnitude and
ARTA service release version 1.8.1 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.8.0 are:
- In ARTA corrected registry
saving of data for 1/3 octave band measurements.
- In ARTA corrected
determination of bitmap copy size in Directivity View.
- LIMP now
does check of frequency range for LSE optimization in TSP estimation.
(optimization needs measurement to 20kHz or at least to 100*fs)
STEPS now has fully compatible calibration data file (*.cal) with ARTA
(the difference was in opposite sign of LR channel
difference dB value).
- STEPS enables measurement of distortion
harmonics D6+, that were unintentionally switched off in version 1.8.0.
December 18, 2013.
ARTA version 1.8.0 is published (see download section).
New features are:
- ARTA has enhanced view of directivity pattern with new "filled contour plot"
- Reference angle for directivity normalization is now user defined
- ASIO driver recognized true 24 bit format of I/O transfer
- ASIO response has been improved
- Calibration procedure has selectable sampling rate: 44100 and 48000 Hz
- Added Phase intercept distortion in ARTA smoothed frequency response window
- Added overlay in ARTA Step response window
- ARTA saves number of averages in IR measurement setup
- Mic. freq. compensation accept only raising frequency points
- New Tool in ARTA: 1/3 octave SPL and loudness time record history
- LIMP has subtract from overlay command (good for removing influence cable resistance)
- LIMP has cable serial impedance compensation
- LIMP has new L3R lossy inductance model of loudspeaker voice coil impedance
- LIMP has better (nonlinear LSE) optimization of TSP estimation
- LIMP has ability to show several target curves,
- LIMP can generate special target curve by pressing F3 in main window - loudspeaker impedance calculated from TSP
- STEPS has corrected *.csv export
- STEPS has new type of measurement: Loudspeaker Maximum SPL vs.
On support page there are new tutorials for ARTA,
STEPS and LIMP in german language, new case study on loudspeaker design, and
link to paper entitled Estimation of Loudspeaker Driver Parameters,
which explains numerical methods used in LIMP.
November 14, 2011.
New application note "AP-8 Repetitive measurements with script
language AutoIT" is published. See link on support page.
ARTA service release version 1.7.1 is published (see download section).
Following bugs are corrected:
- Substract from overloay enabled in Fr2 mode
- Creation of directivity data from files that resides on other disks
- Report for minimum value of octave RC curve (RC < 25) corrected (from
RC < 15)
- Averaging in Octave and Third octave Level measurement correctly
applied to wideband level L
December 18, 2010.
ARTA version 1.7.0 is published (see download section).
New features, implemented in program ARTA, are:
- ASIO soundcard interface is implemented in ARTA, STEPS and LIMP
- New menu in Imp window: Record -> Signal Time Record opens
transient recorder with added generator.
- Generator in transient recorder generates sine burst and pulse
- Periodic square and triangle signals are added to ARTA generator.
- Generator has new multitone signal (square + sine) for measuring TIM
- In Copy bitmap dialog, user defined text can be saved for next opening of
- Added more MLSSA files import types (impulse and transient response).
- Directivity curves smoothing improved at highest frequency.
- Microphone compensation applied only in the range that is defined in
mic. fr. response.
- Downsampling (menu Edit->Downsample in Imp window) enabled analysis of
CSD in low freq. range.
- Acoustical parameters now calculated only for available range of
- Better ISO3382 compatibility in the estimation of reverberation time and
- Improved estimation of very small reverberation time.
- Implemented Scaling of acoustical model response (menu 'Edit->Scale
acoustical model' in Imp window).
- New Imp menu command added (Edit->Truncate to [cursor, marker]).
- Calibration procedure is now slightly simpler (calibrated output
voltage is automatically entered as input voltage).
- Overlay plotting is enabled in Step, Dft and IR Envelope windows.
- Impedance curve overlay can be shown in FR magnitude plots of ARTA and STEPS.
- Now all FR and spectrum graphs can have tick marks and denser grid (Menu
Edit->Colors and grid style) .
- Thick line option is enabled in all windows.
- STEPS now optionally mutes transients after sine cut-off (but,
measurement time larger 50%).
- Microphone calibration update is enabled from SPL & Octave band windows.
- Mlssa export does not make normalization to 1.
- Solved bug with MLS and other nonpower of 2 length IRs in IACC
- STEPS now has correct frequency step in 1/48 octave mode.
New version of tutorial in German language is on
January 3, 2009.
ARTA version 1.6.1 is published (see download section).
New features, implemented in program ARTA, are:
- Saves background color in registry.
- IR measurement dialog gets check box 'Close after recording' to close itself after recording.
- Alt-R-R-R starts and closes measurement in PIR window.
- Alt-R-R starts and closes measurement of PIR in FR window.
- Envelope and Step response windows remember the zoom ratio.
- Shorcut keys for Cursor movement: Home (to 300 sample) , Del (to 0 sample).
- Shorcut keys for Cursor movement are: Crtl+Home (to 300) , Ctrl+Del (to 0), Ctrl+Ins (to cursor).
- Signal recorder can do a triggered time averaging.
- Spectrum estimation of gated recorded signal now gives an averaged spectrum of ovelapped segments.
Foollowing bugs are removed:
- Contour plot appears after reopening the directivity window.
- In correlation graph the background color now trace the global backgound color.
- Spectrum overlay does not depend on type of window (if made in PSD mode must be used in that mode).
December 6, 2009.
ARTA version 1.6.0 is published (see download section).
New features, implemented in program ARTA, are:
- Signal recorder now function as storage scope with triggering capabilities on both channels, with predelay and postdelay.
- For recorded signal the gated spectrum analysis and Short-Time Fourier waterfall plot are possible.
- Import from wav and ascii files can be analysed as IR or signal time record.
- A contour plot added for the presentation of directivity patterns.
- In reveberation window, the 95% cut of tail enabled.
- In all time windows 8 x zoom enabled, with zoom report on graphs.
- A button is added to Imp window control bar, for setting cursor on position of max amplitude.
- New tool: Two-channel voltage level meter and 1/3 oct. analyser.
- Enhanced FR target filter generation.
- Difference mode - in Fr1, Fr2, Spa - shows difference of Magnitude and overlay levels.
Following bugs are removed:
- Arta 'Load target' command - accept files with arbitrary number of points (removed hidden restriction on 720 points)
- Arta peak meter in SPL windows is tracking the peak in every recorded blocks
- Limp correctly reports Le.
- Steps correctly reports X-axis values in Distortion vs. excitation plot.
April, 5, 2009.
ARTA version 1.5.0 is published (see download section).
New features, implemented in program ARTA, are:
- Recording a PIR with an external pulse excitation,
- Automatic ISO3382 parameters estimation,
- ISO3382 parameters estimation in 1/3 octave bands with graphical and table presentation,
- Delay for the phase adjustment possible in FR windows,
- 1/1 octave SPL meter with a Noise rating (NR,NC, PNC, RC, NCB),
- 1/3 octave SPL meter, with specific loudness, loudness in Sone and loudness level in Phon reports,
- Saving/loading all overlays in a Smoothed FR window,
- Estimation of acoustical spatial parameters: IACC, LF and LFC,
- Exports in wav file, also in floating point format.
Two bugs solved:
- Overlay properly refreshed after recording in PIR window.
- Directivity pattern constructs correctly from gated responses
In program STEP a switch is added to select automatic setup of overlay.
July, 20, 2008.
ARTA service release version 1.4.2 is published (see download section).
Just a few bugs have been removed:
- In ARTA, the SPL measurement now correctly deals with input channel
- Soundcard playback method has been redesigned to better handle the
- In STEPS and LIMP the generation of stepped sine on frequencies bellow
20 Hz has been improved.
April, 24, 2008.
ARTA version 1.4.1 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.4.0 are:
- ARTA version 1.4.0 is not compatible with a Windows 98/ME/NT.
This service release ver. 1.4.1 re-establishes compatibility with these
In future releases these operating systems might not be supported.
- A bug in calculation of beam-width angle in Directivity pattern is
April, 20, 2008.
ARTA version 1.4.0 is published (see download section).
Changes from version 1.3.0 are:
- The dual-gated frequency response measurement is implemented.
- Automatic delay finder using cross-correlation (in FR2window).
- Enabled coherence + phase plot in smoothed and unsmoothed FR2 graphs.
- More precise ASCII exported values.
- Generator signal can be saved in .wav files.
- The last PIR excitation signal type is saved in registry.
- Group delay auto-ranging improved.
- Sine generator reports soundcard output RMS voltage.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for moving marker (shift-> , shift <-).
- Main program window size and position memorized between program executions.
- Added grid in spectrograms.
- PIR graph can have one overlay curve.
- Integrating SPL meter with 24 hours data logging possibility is implemented.
- In program STEPS a method for the measurement of the loudspeaker voice coil peak displacement is implemented.
- Improved is a work with soundcards EMU 0404USB and Duran Audio D-Audio USB
On support page a link is added to new
application note: "AP7 - Estimation of Linear Displacement with STEPS".
June, 29, 2007.
ARTA version 1.3.0 is published (see download
section). Changes from version 1.2.1 are:
- The Farina method for simultaneous measurements of frequency
response and harmonic distortion is implemented (see ARTA manual section
- Burst decay envelope graphs are new tools for analysis of
resonances and reflections (see ARTA manual section 6.5)
- Data export in CSV (Excel) formatted files is implemented in ARTA,
LIMP and STEPS.
- In STEPS two methods are implemented for stepped amplitude testing
(linearity test and distortion vs. sine amplitude).
- In ARTA the group delay is calculated by using the user
entered phase delay (as in phase calculation).
- In ARTA microphone frequency response compensation can be applied
in CSD and Burst decay plots.
- In ARTA the generator volume control for periodic noise now also
controls the output level of the continuous noise.
- In STEPS minimum measurement transient time is changed from 10ms
set to 20ms.
- In ARTA a few small bugs corrected:
- corrected signal window labeling (Kaiser7) in spectrum
- corrected DI report in polar plot for full space
- corrected file name saving in directivity view
March, 4, 2007.
ARTA service release version 1.2.1 is published (see download
Following bugs were corrected:
- In the STEPS measurement window; the bottom label for THD was showing
the value of the second harmonic distortion.
- In the STEPS distortion window; the overlay D6+ check box was not correctly switched.
- In the ARTA Smoothed FR window; menu commands for minimum and excess phase were not handled correctly.
- In the ARTA Spectrum Analysis window, label "1/12 octave" in some cases was
shown as "1/11 octave".
To install the version 1.2.1 it is not necessary to uninstall the version 1.2.0.
And one good news: ARTA is ready for the Windows VISTA (32-bit editions).
February, 5, 2007.
ARTA version 1.2.0 is published (see download section). Changes from version 1.1.1 are:
- The swept-sine measurement timing optimized for faster measurements.
- 192kHz sampling rate enabled.
- Excess phase and excess group delay graphs added in Smoothed FR window.
- Corrected ASCII file export of the step response.
- Maximum impulse response sequence length is 256k (for large
reverberation time measurements).
- Reference point for single channel PIR changed to the first sample
that is 20dB below the maximum value.
- New method for intermodulation distortion report (SMPTE, CCIF, DIN,
- More versatile THD report.
- Better control of graph setup in FR analysis windows.
- Button for top scrolling “moves graph” up and down (before, it “moved”
top graph margin).
- Gate time can be shown as equivalent sound wave propagation distance
- CSD can be shown as sonogram.
- CSD dynamic range can be dynamically updated.
- Directivity pattern can be shown with waterfall graph, sonogram and
- Waterfalls and sonograms can be shown as a contoured colored graph.
- Polar diagram shows Directivity Factor Q, Directivity index DI and
Beam width angle.
- Reverberation time can be estimated in octave bands 62.5, 125,.. ,
- Output volume for multisine to -50dB.
- LIMP now estimates complex voice coil inductance as Le in series with
- STEPS analyses 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th+higher harmonics.
- Bugs concerning overlay management are corrected.
- STEPS can measures in 1/6-octave steps (added for faster measurements).
Note 1: Minimum memory requirement for the Window XP is raised to 256k as ARTA 1.2 uses slightly more memory resources than earlier versions.
Note 2: The Directivity pattern tool needs lot of file manipulations, so
it can be used only in registered version. The User Manual and new application note
AN6-Directivity und Polar (in German, thanks to Dr. Weber) shows use
of this tool. You can load example of directivity pattern file from
Note 3: If you have ARTA version <= 1.1.0 ,
please unistall the ARTA software before making the installation of
November, 01, 2006.
Spanish translation of the ARTA manual is
published on support page.
October, 23, 2006.
September, 23, 2006.
Spanish translation of LIMP and STEPS manuals is
published on support page.
Version 2 of the Tutorial in German language published on
September, 14, 2006.
ARTA version 1.1.1 is published (see download section). Changes from version 1.1.0 are:
1) FFT 64-bit processing is now standard.
2) New window - Kaiser7 - implemented for for hi-resolution digital
3) Properly initiated user defined two-sine mode from registry.
4) Faster refreshing of a graph screen in dialog boxes.
5) Group delay vertical labelling is changed.
6) Jitter test signal is implemented in Spectrum analyzer generator.
7) In STEPS, after the calibration data are properly "accepted" as
souncard device calibrationa data.
August, 21, 2006.
ARTA version 1.1.0 is published (see download section). Changes from version 1.0.3b are:
1) New overlay manager in ARTA and STEPS enables advanced operations with overlay list:
- Overlays gets name of current pir file
- Overlay name and color can be edited (by double clicking to overlay list item)
- Overlays can be visible or invisible (by clicking to overlay list item check box)
- After commands: "Edit->Subtract from overlay" and "Edit->Subtract overlay", the overlay is not deleted, instead it becomes invisible.
2) Screen bitmap copying is greatly enhanced:
- Now you can copy full window and graph window.
- Copying graph bitmap can be done with user defined size and labeling.
3) New shortcuts key available:
- Ctrl-A sets overlay from current curve (in all windows)
Ctrl-M opens overlay manager (in Smoothed FR window and in STEPS window)
- Ctrl-C gets dialog with user defined options for copying
graph bitmap to clipboard
- Ctrl-P copy full window as bitmap to clipboard
- Ctrl-B switch B/W background color
4) New command buttons added in Frequency response windows. Twice pressing Alt+R repeat last measurement.
5) BUG removed: target overlay has correct phase response.
6)Target filter response overlays now enabled in Fr2 and Fr2 window.
7) Enhanced graph presentation with frequency axis labeling: 100,200,500, 1k,2k,.., enlarged fonts, more overlay colors..
8) BUG removed: In LIMP stepped sine mode 1/24 oct. frequency step
9) A diffraction step equalizer for rectangular baffle added.